My first attempt, started in January, was a full legged pair, Vogue 8751. I decided to insert use a back zipper because, for me, fly fronts don't always reflect how well something fits. The back zipper was a royal pain, taking me three attempts and I regretted trying to be clever;the fly front would have been much easier.
The results are not what I'd hoped for and I'm not sure if I like the pattern enough to try fixing the problems.
|some pulling in the back|
|plus, the pockets stick out|
|a prominsing start.|
First off, the fit was verrrrry strange. The back was fine, but the front was incredibly baggy. I puzzled about who this could have been drafted for, because they look very close fitting in the picture. I regret not taking a photo, becuase it reminded me of this (without the pointy bits).
Needless to say, I had to take in the front quite a bit.
The fit at that point was not too bad, tho' the back was strangely low,
|There is a bit of a gap in the back because I didn't pull the zipper fully closed|
I'm not sure when the dime dropped, tho' I'm sure the experience among you have realized all along where I've been going with this...
Yes indeed. I'd somehow confused with the front and the back.
|The original front with added darts and some pull lines.|
|the original back, that still doesn't fit despite all my adjustments..|
So, modified the pattern so I had two 'fronts'.
And tried again. These aren't bad, I just need to take about an inch out of the rise so the waistband sits at my waist.
|The weird lighter area is from sitting on my bicycle saddle|
I can't believe it's taken this long to get my first vintage pattern sewn and I'm starting to think I should just stick to skirts. I've marked my changed on the pattern pieces and will revisit this trouser thing later.