Briefly: This suit was supposed to be ready in early December 2015 to wear with this mask to a Mardi Gras Christmas party. But it wasn't finished. And then some Christmas sewing happened (but I will do another post of un-blogged items).
Then I was going to wear it to a Japanese New Years Party. But only the skirt was done, so wore something else. A good thing as, surprisingly, our host's house was hot (close to 80 people will do that).
I finally finished the jacket Thursday morning (yes, January 21, 2016), just in time to wear to a co-workers retirement party.
|Looking slightly wilted -it was after 2200 hours and I am usually asleep at 2030.|
|Goodness! I can't even stand up straight.|
I'm not a sparkly person so it was buried in the deepest stash and only dragged it out when I found this pattern at a thrift store.
And then way back in November, just before I cut the fabric, my serger had a temper tantrum and would not stay threaded. So I threw the rather loosely-woven fabric in the washing machine with some jeans, and then in the dryer to felt it. (After our last falling out I've learned the fastest way to 'fix' my capricious machine is to show it I can manage without it.) Now that the suit is now finished, the serger is working again. But I've gotten ahead of myself
The jacket is OOP Vogue 8123. I made a size 10 even tho' my measurements had me at a size 14.
The skirt is my usual straight skirt pattern.
Since the felted wool is so thick, I top-stitched all the darts and seams to help them stay flat. That and hours of steam -hence the dead iron.
The metallic thread is not as obvious as I thought it be.
The jacket will be great in my chilly office.
Normally this suit would have been done in a weekend so I am not thrilled it took me close to two months, especially since nothing but the little bit of Christmas sewing jumped the queue. I did sign up for SWAP and I am planning mostly TNT patterns, so we'll have to see if I can manage to get my next few projects done more quickly.