Wednesday, 27 January 2016

The Draped Skirt Experiment

Note to Self: This experimenting thing is fun. I don't know why I always avoid it.

Briefly: A few months ago (in November to be exact) Kate from Fabricated posted pictures of her draped skirt projects. She draped some on the stand and then posted instructions about how to make a draped skirt from a skirt block. I was intrigued.

So I  used my TNT straight skirt pattern to make this ...
The Geek was quite perplexed as to what this might possibly be.
In my stash I some nice wool (but not so nice that I was reluctant to use it on an experiment) in the recommended plaid so I gave it a whirl.

While it wasn't a total success as I used french seam (my serger thinks I shouldn't air our dirty linen in public and is acting up again) resulting in a overall seam allowance of 3/4 of an inch rather than 1/2 an inch. I agree this doesn't sound like much but I lost a crucial half inch of ease in the process and  have gone from a slim skirt to a snug skirt.

Snugness aside, the larger draped section sits right the widest part of my hips. When I try this again, I will move it, likely down, a few inches.

I didn't get as far as ironing the side seams as I knew this wasn't going to work as-is.

Despite the front being cut on the bias, I am somewhat tickled about how the plaid pattern is working along the side seam. It isn't quite matched but adds some interesting detail, especially on the draped side.

I'm going to try to rescue this skirt but taking it apart to try cutting the front on-grain from the current bias-cut front. It would be a shame to let that pattern matching across the back go to waste.


  1. Ack! Sox, I still haven't set up the feeder. I love this!! I think it looks GREAT on you. The fabric is gorgeous and the colours look really luxe. Good on you. Can't wait to see it when you're happy with it.

    1. Thank you, S. I've redone it, and it is not so snug now.