Saturday 25 February 2017

Modified - Marbelized Jumper

Note to Self: Slow sewing is fine, but if you focused on the task at hand, it wouldn't be silly sewing.

Briefly: A picture -before I get all rumpled!! And I may have to do something about those bust 'darts'.



Awhile ago I purchased some forest green fine wale corduroy with which I planned to make some slim trousers.
After I washed it, some weird things happened to the fabric-a marble-like texture came with it out of the dryer- and I decided to use it for something else, tho' it took awhile to sort out what that would be.
Forest green, not grey -trust me.
Since I am still off work while my foot heals, I have time to experiment.


Many moons ago I made dress from OOP Simplicity 4991, circa 2004. Since it fit well, I wanted to make a sleeved dress and thought the corduroy would be fine for the test.

To increase back coverage and add sleeves I combined the Simplicity pattern with Sewaholic Oakridge blouse (I really like the ease of sleeve insertion in that blouse.) I also added a dart to the back shoulder to increase the fit, and, I just like shoulder darts.

Definitely more winter-appropriate coverage.

As you will have noticed, this is a jumper, not a dress. I did not have enough fabric for long sleeves and short sleeves on what would be a winter dress would not be sensible in this climate. I would either have to put a sweater over top (imagine trying to stuff corduroy sleeves into a cardigan) or a long sleeved sweater underneath, which would look a little odd.

At time, I choose to ignore things I have preciously learned. In this instance when I shortened the bust darts I did not make it into two narrower darts but left it as one short wide dart. The result was as expected -rather pointy.

The 'eyes' are the very pointy darts.
I managed to fix this somewhat by releasing the darts and making them tucks instead. They can't be that bad because The Geek, self appointed Chief Constable of the Fashion Police did not make any pointed comments (please stifle your groans at the weak pun).

Still a little obvious but not as bad as before.

If you can get past the glare of my winter-white legs and clashing socks, we can evaluate my experiment.
Considering this dress was supposed to have sleeves, but doesn't, there is no pesky gaping at the armholes.


There is a bit of strange rippling at the base of the zipper, but since I can't see it when I am not wearing the dress, I don't think I can fix it.


I think a large part of the 'ripple' seen here is the the marbeling of the fabric.



Outtakes:

I attached the pocket bags and moved them to the right side when I serged the sides of the skirts. Unfortunately, I also sewed the side seams without moving them back inside. I suppose if I could have figured out how to still use them as pockets I could have left them as they were and felt they suited the 'edgy' fabric. HAH! Grab the stitch ripper and put them back inside.


In my desperate attempt to have an un-rumpled outfit, I even photographed it one morning over my gym clothes.


Up Next?
I'm still trying trousers and I'm auditioning a kimono-sleeved bodice for a (summer) dress I'd like to make. And one of my mom's patterns. I like the neckline and the shoulder dart but there will likely have to be some modifications. My mom is 5'2" and was a wisp of a thing when she made this dress. I am...neither.


6 comments:

  1. Sox, I do not have any reader so I always miss your posts. :) I need to get with the program. Can you send The Geek over to help me?? My first thought here was that the fit over the front bodice is fabulous. It really suits you and I am very impressed. I laughed when you showed the closeup and were self-conscious about the points. It has happened to me, but it looks like you did a good job. I seriously think there is no problem there. I sometimes have had issues with my zipper rippling in back but for me it happens more at the top, especially if the bodice is cut high towards the neck. I think this has something to do with the curvature of my back (as in, I am a sloucher and a bit of a hunchback therefore!). I also laughed at the pockets comment.

    I really really love your mom's patterns. I look forward to seeing those summer dresses.

    By the way, I hope the foot is still healing well and of course I am wondering what you do at the gym when not in rowing season? Do you work on a rowing machine??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, S. I think I have fixed the zipper ripple. The very bottom of the zipper had come lose with all my putzkying around but when I re-attached it the ripple seems to be gone. And pockets -oi! What can I say?
      My mom has some really cool patterns and she used to make most of the clothes for my sister and I when we were younger. My youngest sister didn't have as many mom-made clothes -the youngest ones always do without it seems.
      I had an amazing surgeon and my foot is healing well but now I am waiting for the bones to fuse so the screws can come out. One is in a little too far and is digging into the muscle in the bottom of my foot. It makes it difficult to walk. I have no idea how they figure out what length of screw to use. If I'm screwing wood together, I measure the screw I intend to use against the wood to make sure it doesn't stick thru' the other side. How on earth do you do that with bones?
      I do weights and yes, I use the ergs. I need to get some cardio in since my walking is not improving the way I'd hoped. Plus the erg helps my lower back. I've had pelvic floor issues for the last few years and the wonky foot only made things worse because it put too much strain on the other leg and unbalanced my pelvis. Now I need to get everything strong again so ongoing pelvic floor physio can work better. I'm so lucky we have socialized medicine and I have benefits from work.

      Delete
  2. By the way I laughed SO hard at the idea of putting a sweater over a corduroy-sleeved dress. Been there and done that! I used to have a corduroy shirt dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a thing anyone who lives in a cold climate would get.

      Delete
  3. I think it looks really good, the marbelling suits it perfectly and the fit is pretty darned good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm pleased with how it turned out and it is comfortable to wear.

      Delete